Maple Pumpkin Butter
Servings: 3 Cups
- 1 15 ounce can pure pumpkin (puree - not pie filling. I make my own puree, it’s much better.)
- 1 cup unsweetened apple juice (plus extra for thinning if needed for desired consistency)
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice (or ½ teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground ginger, ¼ teaspoon ground cloves)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup pure Maple syrup (Grade A)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or vanilla (liquid form)
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed, deep, medium saucepan. Cook on medium-high until it comes to a soft boil. Place a lid over the pan, leaving it tilted to vent. You want it open just enough to prevent a mess on your stove. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add additional apple juice if the mixture is too thick.
- Store in airtight jars in the refrigerator up to two weeks.
Pumpkin Butter is a particular jam which will be good on toast, biscuits, yoghurt, scones, waffles, pancakes or swirled in oatmeal. As you can see I'm almost done with the first jar as it is pretty good.